Belted blazers enter the trend movement for 2019 fall fashion, so don’t be surprised to see thin belts cinching the waist on a houndstooth or tweed print blazer from October through December. As fall style trends happily interrupt our closets, it’s pretty exciting to take pieces from the back of our wardrobe and move them to the front such as bombers, denim jackets or teddy coats but what’s another popular way to style your outfits with outerwear for autumn?
Today, I discovered six long cardigans in my closet. It’s fair to say I deem long outerwear as wardrobe essential. Either floral, wool, tribal, sheer, cashmere, knit, crochet or lace, cardigans are the perfect essential to stay warm and hide those particular assets you don’t want to show for a day.
How to Wear Long Cardigans in Autumn?
Anything convenient and functional gets five stars in my style research book. I just enjoy pieces that help me achieve the status of effortlessly chic without feeling overwhelmed yet comfortable at the same time. Long cardigans give off an easy but cozy vibe that carries itself as an excellent essential for developing an autumn wardrobe.
Just because this outerwear is long, don’t feel like you have to pair the cardigan with stilettos. Long cardigans look great with heels but also looks nice styled with ankle boots, converse or canvas sneakers too. For creating layered looks, pair your long outerwear over graphic tees and jeans for a casual #OOTD or wear with joggers for a leisurewear fashion statement. Ditch the denim jacket and blazer-style at the office and wear your fanciest long knit cardigan over sheath dresses, paper bag slacks or pencil skirts.
5 Tips for Wearing Long Cardigans
- Avoid wearing wide pieces that naturally flare out such as a-line or tulle skirts.
- These type of skirts are meant to show off the shape, so wearing a long cardigan smashes the shape into your silhouette, causing you to look bulky.
- For that celebrity trend look like the belted blazer, wear a belt over your cardigan.
- Make sure your long cardigan doesn’t drag the floor.
- It’s ok to go down to the floor like ankle length but not drag the floor.
- If it’s too long, wear heels.
- To avoid looking boxy, under your long cardigan, wear clothes that shape your body such as slim fit jeans, bodycon dresses or skirts and tucked in tees or blouses.
- Simple is best. Avoid wearing ruffled pieces and thick tops or anything meant to be worn on it’s own so you don’t look thrown together.
Long cardigans are the perfect investment for your fall wardrobe. Not only are the pieces chic but convenient and functional. I definitely keep a few pieces handy in my closet to give me instant style on the dress where I want to look in between casual and dressy.
Do you wear long cardigans? How do you style them?